[Short Story] A Soldier's Judgment

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jesonomi
Arbitrator
Arbitrator

PostSubject: [Short Story] A Soldier's Judgment   Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:30 pm

A Soldier’s Judgment

If you’re reading this, I have fallen to guilt. This guilt has come from my decision on the lives of forty-seven children. Most were eight. A few were younger and the rest, older. Blood is on my hands. So much of it. More blood than there should be.

Do you understand the weight of those deaths? Do you understand having forty-seven bloodied children haunt your dreams? No. You don’t. It’s heavier than overseeing a kingdom. Every single day I dread my dreams before going to sleep.

What caused all of this was a trial. Specifically, Trial 4761. In case you do not know what happened there, which I doubt greatly, it was a trial for a group of soldiers. Those soldiers were a group that was being experimented on. All of them were children. Now you see, they were not normal. I’ll tell you why.

Scientists had discovered a way to insert knowledge into people’s minds. Like everything else, it needed to be tested. Unsurprisingly, people didn’t want to take the risk. Why risk your life, both physically and socially, when everything is near perfection. I’m sure you understand now. The children were the ones who “tested” it. In reality, they were forced into it. Because kids are expendable.

A few IQ and EQ tests after the injection and the scientists decided to test how far it could go. They injected something else into the kids. Combat skills. Shortly after, the scientists threw them into the wild. You would think that skills by themselves would be useless. Wrong. The little kids didn’t even get scratched. They even went as far as building traps because having to go out and kill the monsters was “boring” as they put it. After a week, people came to bring them back to the city. Seventeen decided to stay.

So that’s the background of the children. You are probably wondering, why did they end in court? A year after the original group split into two, word got out of something that appalled the public. Some of the kids were becoming couples. Two couples took it further than simple love.

The media leaked the information and entire cities went into uproars. Accusations were thrown at the scientists that they had injected more information than needed. In the end, the children were deemed “immoral” and “inhuman”. All of them were brought to the court to determine whether they should be kept alive or not. The method used can only be described as monstrous.

The court took the oldest child, a boy of ten years, and asked him to choose. They asked him to choose his death with the survival of the rest or survival with the rest dead. I assume you’ve figured it out with some strange questions. I stated that I killed forty-seven children did I not? Did I kill the boy too? No. He chose to live and sentenced his friends to death. All forty-seven. I am the boy. The forty-eighth experimental child. I killed my friends in fear of death. How I regret that decision.

Part 1: End

=================================================================================================
17 Years Earlier

“Jake Gim. Please step forward.” My name’s been called and I comply. Why did they call me? Because I’m the oldest? I don’t even have a girlfriend.

The three judges tower above me, both from their pedestal and my height. I start shaking a bit from the biting cold, wondering why all of us were called. The right judge speaks.

“It has come to our attention that some of you have been engaging in love and sexual activities. This has caused the public to raise an uproar and we cannot allow that. However, we have devised a solution to test your…moral and humanity, as the public has put.” Something about the atmosphere tells me to run. I shove the urge down and question the judges.

“Really? That’s good. What is this solution?” The middle judge looks me straight in the eye before answering.

“You choose whether to die and let your friends live or leave your friends to die with your life.” If you didn’t understand him, you could have thought that he suggested a picnic. Of course, we all understood. It takes a few seconds to sink in before someone, perhaps Henry, yells in objection. The judges hammer their gavels in union.

“SILENCE! Only Jake is allowed to speak. However, we will let you talk to him in the two minutes given to determine his decision. Jake, make sure you have an answer when we get back.” His voice is cold, completely different from before. The three leave by a door hidden by the pedestal.

Two minutes? How can I determine the fate of my friends’ lives in two minutes?! The friends whose lives I hold in my hand swarm me, asking my choice, offering suggestions of different approaches, even throwing out an escape plan. I manage to tell them what’s on my mind.

“I’m scared of death.” They all stop talking and silence ensures. Someone steps out, Ted Hergen, a genius in traps, and he speaks.

“We are all afraid of death, Jake. If it was an option, we’d just leave the empire and make our own living. But we don’t have that option. It’s obviously something really arrogant and big to ask for but…be strong for us. Please.” One of the girls in the back starts to cry. I hear the door open and like that, the two minutes are over. My friends walk back as the judges take their seats. I don’t have my decision but what Ted told me sparks an idea. The judge in the middle leans over his pedestal and asks me for my decision.

“Well Jake? What is your answer? Live, or die?” I stammer out my response.

“Well…I…” The judges stare at me and I hear my friends shuffling their feet. Somehow, that sound gives me courage.

“Well, could the fifty-eight of us just leave forever? You could tell the media that we were executed after being deemed immoral or something…” My voice trails off. The atmosphere changes and the judge sits back down. The one on the left makes a signal with his hand. All hell breaks loose.

People burst out from what seems to be nowhere. Only a fourth of my friends brought their weapons. I bring out my diamond sword and start to go over to help them when someone comes up from behind and shoves a black plastic bag over me. I struggle to breathe and try to punch my abductor with my small fists through the bag. He, or she, slams my head into something wooden and my conscious starts to fade. I hear one of my friends scream in agony before sinking into the darkness.

Part 2: End

=================================================================================================

Present Day

I trudge out of shelter, still haunted by that scream. It could have been Timothy, William, Jessica, Emily, or…anybody really. I can only hope that most of them went into a sort of coma before…before they were thrown into the Arena.

A week after I was thrown outside the city walls, I snuck back in to find out my friends’ fates. It was easy. Nobody really knew any us forty-eight. I just wandered around with a scared expression and called out for “Mommy” every once in a while. Everybody was too selfish to even think about helping. They probably gossiped about who was stupid enough to lose their kid. Eventually, I was able to develop a good eavesdropping method. I wish that I didn’t.

After getting snatches of quite a few conversations, I pieced together what happened. After I was knocked unconscious, my friends fought bravely. However, they were soon overpowered. What happened after that is yet another example of the empire’s monstrosity. A fourth was executed on the spot. Another fourth…there were only rumors. They were bought by rich people. Bribes and the whole deal. To be slaves. Guess rich people need smart little kids that they can push around, maybe take anger out on too. Disgusting. I wanted to hunt them down. I couldn’t. I was too weak. Too useless. I couldn’t stop my friends from dying. I couldn’t save myself. I couldn’t even face the judges without my friends. As for the rest…the Arena.

The public “needed” to see disgusting little us die. The government complied. My friends were killed by a mutation, like them, but changed more physically. Creepers. Mutated creepers. I don’t want to remember how they look. It’s already horrible enough knowing of their existence. The only thing that remains of the original creeper is the face. The bottomless eyes. The frown that you see before your death.

Click.

Doors slam together and I’m jerked back to reality. Very calmly, I turn around. A creeper, a regular creeper, is caught in one of my traps. The simplest of all of them. One pressure plate closes four doors around it when stepped on. I decide to deal with the creeper when I get back from harvesting trees. The dark forest beckons me and I walk straight into it. Nothing can be darker than my past.

After traversing deeper into the forest, I start to notice subtle changes in the landscape. Some blades of grass and leaves are red and occasionally, there is a black one standing out of the bunch. I decide to blame the empire. Probably some stupid new mutation or chemical that got out. Then fear strikes my heart as a wolf howls somewhere behind me. I don’t know why I’m scared but I run away. Everything whips past me and turns to red and black. I stop, wondering if the wolf is chasing me. I turn around and try to see past all the tree trunks. The wolf, no, wolves, howl again. I can’t outrun them.

As if practiced it for years, I slide my sword out of its sheath with one smooth motion. I step back a bit, going behind a tree for a bit more cover. My foot doesn’t come in contact with the ground and I fall. Air whistles into my ears and I wait for the impact, for the release of my soul. Instead, my back touches something. I stop falling.
Somehow, I’m lying on a pillar. Is this death? I get up and a humanoid figure is right in my face. Its head is the most bloody part out of the rest of its body. The face is mutilated. It opens its mouth and chills my blood with a few sentences.

“Looks like we’re together again, Jake. All forty-eight of us.”

Part 3: End

I am dead. Or hallucinating. There is no way that this…thing…could be my friend. They are all gone. My eyes start watering but I hold them back in anger.

“A pile of lies. I don’t know you.” It responds with a sad tone.

“You want proof? Follow me then. Jack.” It starts to walk off and I quickly realize it identity. Henry. Only he calls me Jack. I quickly catch up to him.

“Alright. Fine. So maybe I do know you. Tell me how you came here.” I need an answer. Our intelligence always demanded an answer. It still does. He stares at the ground and answers after a few seconds.

“Death is neither dark nor light. Instead, there is silence. And only silence. One cannot speak its name to break it, nor can one ignore the ringing in the ears. Fate deposits you back into the world or here. Anyway, enough talk. We’re here.” I look around but see nothing. Then the environment comes to life. Forty-six people emerge, their bloodied bodies blending into the surroundings. Henry’s…form looks at me.

“Do you see now? Are you going to keep denying this?” My head feels light and the forty-six slowly stumble toward me. One gets to me and I can tell from the mess of long hair, that it was one of my female friends.

“Emily?” She nods and I finally fall onto my knees. This girl I once loved…reduced to this? I look around at the others. All of them, dead. Dead as my soul. All because I couldn’t face death. I try to stand up but fall onto my face. Slowly, with my remaining energy, I roll over and face them all.

“I’m sorry guys. I couldn’t do anything. I couldn’t face death.” They get closer, and closer, and closer. They whisper and mutter and speak incoherently.

Jake. Help. Death. Life. Creepers.

The words keep coming, meshing into a wail of insanity. I know what Henry meant. These…things…my friends…they are not alive. The beings continue to stagger and drag toward me. I don’t have any more energy to run away. Emily turns to me and I feel some sort of sadness. Perhaps she held on and waited for me. But that means…she always loved me. And we never found each other. We were ripped apart by fate. The others are just a few feet away. I take Emily’s hand.

They close in.

Somewhere back in the real world, a baby dies.

And then another.

Another.

Another.

The city that Jake was born in suffered forty-eight neonatal deaths that day.

End
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Teh puma
Reclaimer
Reclaimer

Character sheet
Name: Puma of Legend
Level: 1
EP:
200/200  (200/200)

PostSubject: Re: [Short Story] A Soldier's Judgment   Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:26 pm

Dude... You NEED to get your scripts on the big screen or something, because your writing is just pure genius!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jesonomi
Arbitrator
Arbitrator

PostSubject: Re: [Short Story] A Soldier's Judgment   Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:53 pm

Teh puma wrote:
Dude... You NEED to get your scripts on the big screen or something, because your writing is just pure genius!
I try, I try.

I still have a few stories not up on here. They're unfinished though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Teh puma
Reclaimer
Reclaimer

Character sheet
Name: Puma of Legend
Level: 1
EP:
200/200  (200/200)

PostSubject: Re: [Short Story] A Soldier's Judgment   Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:04 pm

When you finish them, please put them up. PLEEEEEAAAAASSSSSEEEEEEE. :3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JamieMin0r
Arbitrator
Arbitrator

PostSubject: Re: [Short Story] A Soldier's Judgment   Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:20 pm

Jesonomi, I shall begin my new story soon. Though, might be a while. All I know is that it shall be on par with Timid Affection, though it's probably not romance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://damnedphysics.aforumfree.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Short Story] A Soldier's Judgment   

Back to top Go down

[Short Story] A Soldier's Judgment
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1